Caledonian Campers & Conversions Ltd would like to answer some frequently asked questions, we personally think this might come in handy to some of you!

Q. Where can we camp at night?
A. Scotland is one of the only country’s where freedom camping is legal. You have some great choices of campsites available but sometimes freedom camping can allow you to experience more of Scotland’s natural unseen beauty. Avoid agricultural land, if you consider yourself remote then you are probably OK. Be discrete, try to keep out of sight of any inhabited houses or farms. Do not light a fire unless you have checked it is allowed. Be polite, friendly and prepared to move on if asked.

Q. What is supplied with the vehicle?
A. Our camper van’s come fully equipped with all kitchen utensils, cutlery etc. dustpan & brush, 240v hook-up cable, water hose, operating manual (instruction pack), pack of maps, privilege pack which allows you to attend members only campsites some of which even give you a discount! If you require linen, inverters, please see our list of items available to hire. This will supply you with costs, if you require any further information please get in touch.

Q. What do we have to bring on the day of hire?
A. On the day your hire commences you will be required to bring:
Card part & counterpart of your drivers licence
A recent utility bill with proof of address corresponding with your driving licence (no more than 3 months old)
A method of paying the fully refundable security deposit
All of your belongings you will need to have a fantastic holiday!

Q. Are pets welcome?
A. Unfortunately we do not allow any pets in our Campervans

Q. What happens if my camper van breaks down?
A. You should contact us at the office, if it is out of office hours you can contact the AA roadside assistance they will advise you on what to do. You will have all of the necessary details in the camper van if this is necessary.

Q. Can the camper van accessories work without electric 240v hook up?
A. Our camper van’s are fitted out with leisure batteries which allows you to use your lights, water pump and fridge without hook-up. The cooker & sink work from a gas cylinder which is located in the gas locker. You would simply need to drive the vehicle to re-charge your leisure batteries.

Q. What kind of instruction will I be given about the van, appliances and how to use them?
A. You will receive a full orientation with the van, it’s controls, appliances and maintenance responsibilities. Orientation consists of a personal walk around the vehicle by a member of staff. They will then show you the inside of the vehicle and the correct way to work the appliances. If you receive any problems during your camper van hire you can contact a member of staff on the contact numbers provided to help you.

Q. How do we go about booking a campsite with the Privilage Scheme?
A. To try out the UK Club Sites using the Privilege Scheme, all you need to do to book a pitch is call the Camping and Caravaninng Club contact centre on 024 7767 0091 for UK Club Sites or 024 7767 0279 for Camping in the Forest and let the advisor know that you have this pack.
They will take a small deposit from you to secure your pitch and the balance will be due upon arrival at the site.  You’ll need to show the site Mangers the Privilege pack or key fob found in your pack on arrival to the site for the members’ discount to be applied – please be aware that some of the sites operate a minimum booking period.


Leave a Reply